Skip to main content

Shopping finds....




Thought I'd share a couple of recent purchases I made. The first photo are my purchases from Wilkinson's - yes humble little Wilkinson's. I've learnt there are lots of good crafty things in the kids art section in lots of shops and Wilkinson's was a real find. You may wonder why on earth I bought them - well they're for my dying and printing classes - and as they were from Wilkinson's they were really cheap. I think this lot cost about a fiver.

Unfortunately I've rediscovered E-bay - but what a find these black Bakelite buttons were. I don't think my poor photo really does them justice but I'm really pleased with them - they're so delicate and beautiful.




I've also been playing around with some machine embroidery. The book I've been working from is 'Beginner's guide to machine embroidery' by Pam Watts. It's a slim but practical book .
The first sample has a backing of calico, with a piece of silk with various threads arranged on top and then stitched by machine. The second sample is the same process but with organza over the threads - this does make it much easier to machine and so I got carried away and used a number of threads - plain and variegated.
I cut up some of the first sample and machined the pieces to tags that I'll uses for pressies I'll wrap in brown paper. One of them was a bit wonky - DH said this showed they were hand made.... I resisted hitting him. I was rather pleased with the pieces I made - I needed a change from hand quilting.
Many thanks for the comments on my last post. Unfortunately my replies to you were bounced back to me - but I wanted to make sure you knew they were appreciated.
Have a good weekend.

Comments

Jade said…
Love your bakelite buttons! You must have a secret ebay shop source, cos I haven't seen those anywhere. Also popping in to let you know I've tagged you for that "random meme".
YankeeQuilter said…
Love the buttons! I'm also tempted to try out the machine embroidery...or just to play more with my machine. There are just so many hours....

Popular posts from this blog

Dennis...

...well unfortunately Dennis died last month. Although we were very upset at the time we realise he had a very happy long life (18 years) and he spent his last day in the garden sunning himself . Everyone who came to the house met him - whether they wanted to or not; he was very friendly . So here are a last few photos of him looking like the fat happy orange cat that he was...

How exciting

Hello all. I had a very nice e-mail yesterday telling me I was in October's British Patchwork & Quilting magazine as their featured blog of the month. And yes I'm there on page 68. A very nice surprise as I had no idea my little old blog would make a national publication. So if any of you are looking at my blog for the first time please do leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you.